This is the question that everyone has been asking me lately: "Are you missing the beginning of school?" My answer to this is "yes" and "no." As most of you know, I am taking a year off to be with Little Charlie at home. Yes, this has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember...just ask my Mom and Dad. I have been playing "house" and "mommy" since I was very little. I also have been playing "school" for as long as I can remember. So it has been hard not to rush out and shop for new markers, crayons, sticky notes, and composition books; however, I know without a doubt that this is where God has me right now...caring for my little bundle of joy at home. I cannot imagine anyone else caring for Charlie right now. It is a privilege to stay at home and teach him all about our great big world. I am thankful that God has given me this great "teaching" opportunity.
Now, what do I miss about school (after 10 years of teaching)?
bundles of newly sharpened pencils
new notebooks
green pens
new dry erase markers
mavelous tape (for those of you who don't know..this is a teacher's dream..it is tape that won't pull the paint off of the walls)
newly laminated class lists
composition notebooks
new faces of students, parents, and teachers
the friends of Brookwood Forest Elementary (my home for the last 8 years)
Room 213
Trips to Office Depot/Office Max with Jennifer
Late Friday and Saturday nights right before schools starts
10:45 lunch time
Lunch with 1st grade
Rolling chair parties
Sharing books with kids (now I just get to do that with Charlie)
What am I not missing?
grading papers
fire drills and tornado drills
Well, as you can see the good outweighs the bad...so I know that I'll return to the classroom one day. I know I'll miss it, but I'm in the right career for me right now. To all of my teacher friends, I'll come and visit. Please don't be strangers. I'll have Charlie up there to meet all of the BWF Rangers soon!

3 comments:
Don't worry... we can make a night run to Office Max just for fun! And... we can have a rolling chair party with Little C. in his stroller (and maybe coach will let us borrow two scooters and the gym... that would be a fun RCP!)... And, I have 19 little darling 4th graders that would love for you to come be a guest writing teacher--preferably the descriptive mode which I know nothing about!!! And... guess what??? Mavalous tape isn't allowed on the newly painted walls so we are ALL missing that! Have fun at home... You aren't missing a thing... we wouldn't have too much fun without ya'!
I get so sad when I go to Walmart and pass the markers for $.33 and spiral notebooks for $.10. I am always tempted to buy them! It is great to know we are able to stay home with our sweet boys though!!!
I'm so happy that you are able to stay home with Charlie this year, but please know how much we love and miss you at BWF. Please come and visit soon!
- Cortney
PS- I didn't see Camp McDowell on the list of things you miss. I'm assuming you forgot that one, right? :)
Post a Comment