--put him down at the same time each day
--have a routine for nap times
--get him up at the same time every day in the mornings
--get to bed around the same time each night
--let him cry
Taking those tips into consideration, here is what we've been doing for the last few days.
--nap times: 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. each day (sometimes a late afternoon snooze around 4:30 p.m.)
--routine: We're working on this. Sometimes it is reading a book or eating. Then we get his blue lamb and his pacifier. Lay him down in his bed.
--Wake up time: 7:00-7:30 a.m.
--Bedtime: 8:00 each night
--Crying time: see summary below.
Day 1: Thursday, 1/1/09: We put him down for a nap around 9, and he cried for 30 minutes. I fed him, put him down, and he cried for 30 more minutes. At 1:00, we put him down again, and he cried for 40 more minutes. Around 3:30, he ate, and we both finally fell asleep on the couch until 4:45 p.m. He went to bed at 8:00...then woke up around 9:15. We fed him, and he slept until 7:15 this morning.
Day 2: Friday, 1/2/09:
--9:08 a.m.: down for morning nap; cried for 45 minutes
--1:00 p.m.: down for afternoon nap: slept for 30 minutes; cried himself back to sleep; got up at 2:10. (I am so glad that he slept for this long! :) Yea, little Charlie!)
Thanks, Valerie, Peggy, Jessica, April, and Mom for giving me advice/listening to me today. Also, thanks, Adam, for watching him this morning and trying to keep me disciplined in this process. As most of you know, I'm very laid back, so a schedule is hard for me; however, Charlie needs his rest (and his mama does t00). I also think teething is not helping any situations! After writing this post, I am realizing that I am so thankful for all of the time that I have with him...sleeping or fighting sleep. He is such a joy!

2 comments:
i totally understand! at 6 months...4-5 thirty minute naps each day. great book: healthy sleep habits happy child. at 9 months, we do a 9am and 12:30ish pm nap. at least an hour...sometimes 1 and a half or 2 hrs finally. we let addie cry, but did 5 minute go back in, pat the tummy, give the paci, say night night and then bumped to 8 minutes and then 10 before going back in. that kept me sane. rarely do we have to do that anymore though. i hope it's getting better! he's just darling!
Hi Karen,
Keep it up and you will see results. We definately had to "train" Will how to sleep. There was a lot of crying involved. It got better every day and we are now blessed with a 14 month old who just lays down, hugs his stuffed Ernie and quietly goes to sleep at both nap time and bedtime. I will say this though, some babies just aren't great nappers. Mine never has been - even as an infant. Now, my friends' kids take 2 to 3 hour naps; mine sleeps for maybe 60-90 minutes once a day. But he sleeps 12-13 hours at night, so I can't complain. Kids are people too and some are just not meant for lots of daytime sleep. Keep at it though because he needs his rest. Eventually, you'll all find your comfort zone. Happy New Year!
Post a Comment